The GCE Vectrex was a unique console released in 1982 that featured vector graphics on a built-in screen. It had a small library of games, but they were known for their high quality and innovation. Here are some of the best Vectrex games:
- Mine Storm – This was the pack-in game that came with every Vectrex console. It is a space shooter that features a series of increasingly difficult levels. The game is played on a wraparound screen, which means that enemies can come from any direction. The game is simple, but addictive and remains a fan favorite.
- Star Castle – This game is a port of a classic arcade game from the early 80s. The objective is to destroy a fortress that is protected by three layers of shields. The game gets progressively harder as you advance through the levels. The Vectrex version is widely regarded as one of the best ports of this game.
- Armor Attack – This is a tank combat game that takes place on a city map. The objective is to destroy enemy tanks and avoid their fire. The game features a unique control system that allows you to aim your tank turret separately from your movement. The game is challenging, but satisfying to play.
- Scramble – This is a side-scrolling shooter that features a series of obstacles to avoid and enemies to destroy. The game is difficult, but rewarding to play. The Vectrex version is notable for its smooth graphics and sound.
- Spike – This is a platformer that features a small creature that must navigate through a series of levels. The game is challenging, but the controls are tight and responsive. The game is notable for its colorful graphics and catchy music.
Pros of the Vectrex console include its unique vector graphics, built-in screen, and high-quality games. Cons include the limited library of games and the fact that the console is no longer in production.
Official website link: There is no official website for the GCE Vectrex as the console is no longer in production. However, there are several websites and forums dedicated to the console and its games.